The Canadian Keratoconus Foundation is dedicated to supporting keratoconus research. We are also here to help you stay up-to-date on the latest keratoconus research. Research can help someone with keratoconus better understand their condition, and also help patients make informed decisions with regards to treatment.
Below you'll find published research articles related to keratoconus symptoms, causes, diagnosis and treatments.
Research in Symptoms, Causes & Diagnosis
- Reduction in Corneal Volume with Severity of Keratoconus (2011)
Compares the corneal volume in keratoconic and normal eyes to improve our understanding of the tissue distribution associated with the disease.
- The effect of keratoconus on the structural, mechanical, and optical properties of the cornea (2011)
Discusses the changes in structure, composition, and mechanical and optical properties of the cornea with keratoconus as well as treatment options.
- Management of keratoconus: Current scenario (2011)
Review article discussing the current scenario on the surgical as well as non-surgical management of keratoconus.
- Keratoconus: A review (2010)
Reviews existing research relationg to keratoconus and its treatment.
- Mechanisms of Rubbing-Related Corneal Trauma in Keratoconus (2009)
Examination of known and putative mechanisms for rubbing-related corneal trauma and cone formation.
- The genetics of keratoconus (2001)
Review of the evidence that suggests keratoconus is primarily an inherited condition.
Research in Treatments
- Collagen cross-linking: a new treatment paradigm in corneal disease – a review (2011)
Summary of the theoretical basis and risks of corneal collagen cross-linking, along with the available evidence for its use in keratoconus and other corneal disease states.
- Simultaneous Topography-Guided Photorefractive Keratectomy Followed by Corneal Collagen Cross-linking for Keratoconus (2011)
Presents the results of simultaneous photorefractive keratectomy followed by corneal collagen cross-linking for keratoconus.
- New Treatments for Keratoconus (2011)
Medical letter describing standard and new treatment options for people with keratoconus.
- Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking: A review (2011)
A look at existing studies on the effectiveness of corneal collagen cross-linking.
- Corneal Transplantation for Keratoconus: A Registry Study (2011)
Determines factors influencing long-term graft survival and visual acuity of patients receiving their first corneal transplant for keratoconus.
- Corneal Cross Linking for Keratoconus (2011)
Reviews papers and studies that have been done to support cross linking as a safe and effective treatment for patients with early stages of keratoconus.
- Simultaneous Topography-guided PRK Followed by Corneal Collagen Cross-linking for Keratoconus (2009)
Presents the results of simultaneous photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) followed by corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) for progressive keratoconus.
- Management of pellucid marginal corneal degeneration with simultaneous customized photorefractive keratectomy and collagen crosslinking (2009)
Case report of a 34-year old woman who had simultaneous photorefractive keratectomy and corneal collagen cross-linking.